Sunday, November 18, 2012

I love being simple but sexy — Bunmi Olunloyo



Bunmi
Bunmi Olunloyo treads where her peers would not dare. A dancer and choreographer, she is the creative director of Bailamos Dance Company. In a region where dance is yet to gain ground as an attractive profession unlike what obtains in other western nations, she has decided to have a dance school.
A trained lawyer from the University of Lagos and the Nigeria Law School, she decided setting up a dance school five years ago. In the comfort of her cozy studio, which she set up two years ago, she tells of her sojourn in an unfamiliar terrain.
“My friend took me to a salsa class and I have not looked back ever since. I just loved it! I fell in love with everything about it. I just became a very good student, I did not want to miss any class, and then after a while, they would ask me to do performances. Before I knew it, I was already teaching dance and it just grew like that,” she rhapsodises.
Thrilled at the prospect of earning a living from dancing, she furthered her passion by getting adequate training abroad. “After discovering my passion, the thirst for more knowledge arose.  I travelled to England and New York to learn more about dancing especially Latin ballroom dance.”
Learning under the tutelage of four-time dance champion, Dave Campbell, she adds that she has not stopped getting tutorials when necessary.
“Professionally, I have been doing this for seven years but because it is an ongoing thing where you have to update your knowledge, I always try to go for trainings, do workshops because in my trade, you never stop learning.”
One of the biggest hurdles she had to cross was getting people to accept her career change.
She recalls: “It was difficult getting people to accept the new me but at the same time it was very easy because I knew what I wanted to do. I knew it would be difficult for people to understand and accept my new career path but I was determined to make it work and make a difference as well. Everyone sees dancers as low lifers or people who do not have anything positive to do with their time.
“Meanwhile, it is about doing what you are called to do which is very important to me because there is no point living life the way every other person expects you to live.  My mother is my biggest fan, always supportive and attends my performances. Initially, all she was concerned about was finishing school and then I could do what I wanted. She just wanted me to have something to fall back on incase this did not work.”
But it worked. Although she has never practiced as a lawyer, she acknowledges that it has helped. “I use my knowledge of law to protect myself. In this industry, it is very easy for people to want to cheat you and cut corners,” she says.
A staunch believer in the emancipation of women, she believes women deserve a place within and outside the entertainment industry.
“In any industry in Nigeria, women always have to fight harder to be up there. However, for me, because I have people who support me as well and are always there for me, I just have to keep working. My motto is, keep working hard at everything and do not stop, no matter how hard it gets. I believe that at one point, it is women who would dominate these industries so I am looking forward to that time.”
Although she agrees it is financially rewarding to be a dance instructor, its challenges are numerous and topping the list are injuries.
Also a victim, she says, “I have had several injuries. Once, I bruised a ligament in my right shoulder while I was preparing for a performance. There was another time I fell on my back and one of the vertebrae in my spine shifted and I did not even know until a year after. I have had thigh injuries where I ripped the muscles there.”
She adds that working with male clients can be a bit challenging too.
“It can be very tricky sometimes but you have to be professional about it. You just have to stand your ground and if it is a situation you cannot handle, always have a male instructor around. I had a little case once in the middle of a class where I was teaching a man; it was embarrassing for both of us too.”
Wondering how it feels to be a young entrepreneur?
“I love what I do and I love the fact that it is challenging. I am naturally a very determined person, especially when people think I cannot do something. That fires me up and makes me go further. Being an entrepreneur in Nigeria, many young people are getting more and more respect for doing what they do at a young age, instead of working in an office. So, it feels good to be following that trail and paving the way for other people.”
For one who has had several international performances and appearances on reality shows including Celebrity Takes 2, what is the high point of her career?
She enthusiastically responds: “That will have to be being featured on CNN documentary, Inside Africa with Vladimir Duthiers. Truth is, I do not know how that happened. I just got a phone call from them and that was how everything started. It was the most amazing moment of my career this year, and it was amazing to know that people went to find out about what I do. It was good to be watched by the world.”
Her world is coloured by dancing and that is why she spends her free time doing everything dance-related except on a few occasions.
“I am always dancing and that is the truth. If I am not dancing, I am teaching or doing a little bit of paperwork. I also do dance costumes, fitness/ wellness, aerobics and otherwise I try to spend time with my family and friends but apart from that I am always doing something dance related.”
Her toned physique is one that would breed envy but she is quick to tell you it is a result of many years of dancing and not time spent in the gym.
“I hope you will believe me when I say dancers are the laziest people. We are fit because we know what dances will keep us fit. If you put me in a gym now to do aerobics, I will not be able to keep up.”
Stylish in every sense of the word, Olunloyo demonstrates an impeccable taste in clothing and accessories.
“It depends on what side of the bed I wake up on and where I am going. I never used to be the dress type but when I started dancing, that actually changed. So I love dresses, simple but sexy. I like to look sexy all the time but not vulgar. I have a substance abuse for shoes. I love shoes and a friend once said for every new shoe I buy, I should give out two so as to decongest my rack.”
Not too keen on beauty treatments, she manages a few that keeps her skin glowing. She says, “Because I am always so exhausted, I always try to wash my face every day. I cleanse my skin and sometimes, I just take a shower and jump into bed. I should do more but honestly, I do not do much. I try to keep my skin as clear as possible.”
She talks about her childhood with so much relish. “I have two older brothers and my father died when I was two; so I was brought up by a single mother. We lived in a communal area, the University of Lagos. We had a lot of neighbours and I got to interact with a lot of people. I think I had a pretty good childhood where I did a lot of outdoor activities, which does not happen with today’s kids.”
One issue she would not evade discussing is marriage. “I am at the age where I should be starting a family. Most people think I am so busy with work that I do not want to be in a relationship. I am ready for one, would love to be in one and make it work with what I do,” comes her response.
On her long term plans, she says, “I am looking at opening up more studios in different parts of Nigeria and additional studios in Lagos to accommodate my clients. Right now, my studio is a substantial size and I want a much bigger place because I know I cannot dance forever even though I really would want to. My prayer is even if I cannot dance at 70, I should at least be able to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment